Sylvia Croese is a research fellow at the African Centre for Cities, as well as at the Department of Sociology at the University of Cape Town. Her doctoral work explored the politics of post-war state-led housing development in post-war urban Angola. As a post-doctoral research fellow she has continued to conduct research in Luanda and on urban governance and development in Africa more broadly as part of various comparative research projects. She has taught and presented her work in a number under and post-graduate courses, numerous research seminars and conferences and has published several peer-reviewed articles, papers and book chapters. She is also a contributor to www.urbanafrica.net.
- Croese, Sylvia (2016). ‘State-led housing delivery as an instrument of developmental patrimonialism: The case of post-war Angola’. African Affairs 116 (462), pp. 80-100.
- Croese, Sylvia (2016). Urban Governance and Turning African Cites Around: Luanda Case Study. Partnership for African Social and Governance Research Working Paper No. 018, Nairobi, Kenya. Available at http://www.pasgr.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Urban-Governance-and-Turning- African-Cities-Around_Luanda-Case-Study_.pdf
- Croese, Sylvia and Pitcher, Anne (in press). ‘Turbo-Suburbanism in a Post-conflict African City – Luanda, Angola’. In Infinite Suburbia . Edited by Alan Berger and Joel Kotkin. Boston: MIT Press.
- Croese, Sylvia, Cirolia, Liza Rose, Graham, Nick (2016). ‘Towards Habitat III: confronting the disjuncture between global policy and local practice on Africa’s ‘challenge of slums’’. Habitat International 53, pp. 237-242.
- Croese, Sylvia (2015). ‘Ghosts evicted from empty city’. Cityscapes 7: Futurity – out now! Edited by Sean O’Toole and Tau Tavengwa. Available at http://www.cityscapesdigital.net/2015/12/09/ghosts-evictedempty-city/
- Croese, Sylvia (2015). ‘ Inside the government, but outside the law: residents’ committees, public authority and twilight governance in post-war Angola’. Journal of Southern African Studies 41 (2), pp. 405-417.
- Croese, Sylvia (2012). ‘1 million houses? Angola’s national reconstruction and Chinese engagement’. In Marcus Power and Ana Cristina Alves, eds. China and Angola. A marriage of convenience? Oxford: Pambazuka Press, pp. 124-144.
Sylvia Croese May 8, 2018
Global urban policymaking in Africa: A view from Angola through the redevelopment of the Bay of Luanda
ABSTRACT A burgeoning literature looks into the processes and actors involved in the adoption and emulation of best practices and models of urban policy and development across the globe, often with the aim of attracting investment and making cities more competitive. (more…)
Edgar Pieterse, Susan Parnell, Sylvia Croese May 15, 2017