Amy Weimann is a Junior Research Fellow affiliated with the African Centre for Cities, and a Public Health PhD candidate at the School of Public Health & Family Medicine at the University of Cape Town. As an urban geographer in the field of Urban Health, her current research focuses on intersectoral approaches to addressing urban health challenges, particularly in the context of informal settlement housing. She has research experience in exploring the spatial distribution of HIV, tuberculosis and non-communicable diseases in South Africa, and has previously worked in local government analysing the South African Census data, crime data, and developing monitoring indices comprising demographic, socio-economic and health data.
- Weimann, A.; Shung-King, M.; McCreedy, N.; Tatah, L.; Mapa-Tassou, C.; Muzenda, T.; Govia, I.; Were, V.; Oni, T. 2021. Intersectoral Action for Addressing NCDs through the Food Environment: An Analysis of NCD Framing in Global Policies and Its Relevance for the African Context. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health, 18, 11246. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph182111246
- Oni, T., Assah, F., Erzse, A., Foley, L., Govia, I., Hofman, K. J., Lambert, E. V., Micklesfield, L. K., Shung-King, M., Smith, J., Turner-Moss, E., Unwin, N., Wadende, P., Woodcock, J., Mbanya, J. C., Norris, S. A., Obonyo, C. O., Tulloch-Reid, M. & Wareham, N. J. on behalf of the GDAR network. 2020. The global diet and activity research (GDAR) network: A global public health partnership to address upstream NCD risk factors in urban low and middle-income contexts. Globalization and Health, 16. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12992-020-00630-y
- Weimann, A., Kabane, N., Jooste, T., Hawkridge, A. Smit, W. & Oni, T. 2020. Health through human settlements: Investigating policymakers’ perceptions of human settlement action for population health improvement in urban South Africa. Habitat International, 103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.habitatint.2020.102203
- Oni, T., Micklesfield, L. K., Wadende, P., Obonyo, C. O., Woodcock, J., Mogo, E. R. I., Odunitan-Wayas, F. A., Assah, F., Tatah, L., Foley, L., Mapa-Tassou, C., Bhagtani, D., Weimann, A., Mba, C., Unwin, N., Brugulat-Panés, A., Hofman, K., J., Smith, J., Tulloch-Reid, M., Erzse, A., Shung-King, M., Lambert, E. V., & Wareham., N. J. 2020. Implications of COVID-19 control measures for diet and physical activity, and lessons for addressing other pandemics facing rapidly urbanising countries. Global Health Action, 13:1. https://doi.org/10.1080/16549716.2020.1810415
- Weimann, A., Nguendo-Yongsi, B., Foka, C., Waffo, U., Carbajal, P, Sietchiping, R. & Oni, T. 2020. Developing a participatory approach to building a coalition of transdisciplinary actors for healthy urban planning in African cities – a case study of Douala, Cameroon. Cities & Health. https://doi.org/10.1080/23748834.2020.1741966
- Weimann, A. & Oni, T. 2019. A systematised review of the health impact of urban informal settlements and implications for upgrading interventions in South Africa, a rapidly urbanising middle-income country. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16(3608):1-17. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph16193608
- A cross-sectional and spatial analysis of the prevalence of multimorbidity and its association with socioeconomic disadvantage in South Africa: A comparison between 2008 and 2012. Social Science & Medicine, 163: 144-156. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2016.06.055
- Oni, T., Mogo, E., Ahmed, A., Ebikeme, C., Thomas, Y., Weimann, A. & Davies, J. 2019. Bolder action for health in Africa: from building health systems to building systems for health for NCD prevention [policy brief]. Available: https://isuh.org/bolder-action-for-health-in-africa/
- Weimann, A., Smit, W., Kabane, N., Jooste, T., Hawkridge, A. and Oni, T. 2017. Health in urban housing policies in the Western Cape: investigating housing policies to address infectious and non-communicable disease epidemics. Western Cape Government Provincial Health Research Newsletter. Issue 9.