The African Centre for Cities is seeking to appoint Communications Officer for the African Mayoral Leadership Initiative (AMALI), a partnership between the African Centre for Cities (ACC), at the University of Cape Town, and Big Win Philanthropy to provide city leaders in Africa with exclusive, tailored support to hone their visions for their cities. The main purpose of this position is to undertake communications functions for the AMALI programme, in consultation with the AMALI team and the ACC communications team. This will include developing and overseeing an AMALI communications strategy and brand rollout, managing the AMALI website and social media channels, content creation, media management., stakeholder engagement (for example, the AMALI alumni network), helping organize events, and production management of AMALI materials (for example, for the City Leadership Forum). Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced candidates for the full-time position of AMALI Communications Officer, to commence as soon as possible. The incumbent will need to be an energetic, driven, self-starting individual, able to deal with multiple, simultaneous demands in a high-pressure environment.
Please refer to the attached detailed position description (HR191) for the full responsibilities of this position
• A suitable degree or diploma (minimum NQF6 level).
• At least five years relevant work experience in communications, including managing websites and social media channels, the design and production of publications and other materials, and organising events.
• Familiarity with graphic design and social media communication
• Excellent writing, proof-reading and editing skills in English.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work well in a team.
• Ability to work well in a pressured environment with competing priorities.
• Knowledge of the latest social media communication technologies and tools.
The following would be advantageous:
• Knowledge of urban issues in Africa
• Fluency in French
The annual cost of employment, including benefits, is between R294,596 and R547,802per annum.
To apply, please e-mail the following documents in a single pdf file to Ms Ulpha Ismail at firstname.lastname@example.org
– UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
– Motivation letter, detailing how you meet the minimum requirements for this job
– Curriculum Vitae (CV) Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Foreign nationals who apply for the position must ensure that they meet the legal requirements and have the necessary documentation. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo a competency test.
For any queries about the job please contact Associate Professor Warren Smit at email@example.com
Telephone: 021 650 5903
Reference number: AMALI 23/1
Closing date: 14 August 2023
“UCT is a designated employer and is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity, and redress in achieving its equity targets in accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets. Preference will be given to candidates from the under-represented designated groups. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf. “ www.hr.uct.ac.za/hr/policies/employ_equity. UCT reserves the right not to appoint.