African Centre for Cities has a research fellowship available focussed on Urban Studies – Southern Urbanism.
Scope of Postdoctoral Fellowship
The postdoctoral fellowship is focussed on Urban Studies –Southern Urbanism. The candidate will have expertise in: qualitative social research, with a firm grounding in social theory and an interest in the global South. Familiarity with (social) design literature and pedagogy would have to be achieved during the course of the Fellowship.
The specific tasks of the incumbent are to:
- Form an active part of the new MPhil Urban Studies – Southern Urbanism programme.
- Support the teaching effort of the programme, particularly the City Research Studio.
- Produce scholarly articles that are publishable in international journals, book chapters, blogs and contributions to the media in general.
- Participate in the activities of the African Centre for Cities.
- Compile a systematic record of the design and implementation process of the Urban Studies – Southern Urbanism programme.
All these tasks will be carried out in close consultation with various ACC staff members and under the supervision of Prof. Sophie Oldfield.
Applicants are expected to have completed a doctoral degree in an area of study relevant to the scope of the Fellowship within the past five years (e.g. Geography, Sociology, Anthropology, Architecture, Planning, Urban Design, etc.).
Applicants may not previously have held full-time permanent professional or academic posts.
Successful candidates, as part of professional and intellectual development, will be required to participate in departmental activities such as limited teaching and supervision and duties incidental thereto.
Value & Tenure
The value of the Fellowship is ZAR200 000 per year over a twenty four month period. The Fellowship is non-renewable for twenty-four months. The fellowship does not include relocation costs or fringe benefits. Conference grants may be available on application. The incumbent will be provided with a desk and appropriate access rights to use the research facilities of the University of Cape Town. The Fellowship will start in January 2019.
Applications must be submitted by 19 November 2018 and consist of:
- a letter of application stating areas of expertise, research interests and experience
- copies of academic transcripts;
- a CV including a list of publications; and
- the names and contact details of at least two academics who have taught, supervised or worked alongside the applicant.
Eligible and complete applications will be considered by the Director of the African Centre for Cities and a sub-committee.
Please submit applications to Maryam Waglay of the African Centre for Cities by e-mailing to firstname.lastname@example.org or posting/delivering to Maryam Waglay, African Centre for Cities, Room 2.10, Environmental and Geographical Science Building, University of Cape Town, Private Bag X3, Rondebosch, 7701. Please state in the e-mail subject line or on the letter/envelope that this is an “Application for the ACC Urban Studies Postdoctoral Research Fellowship”.
For enquiries regarding the position please contact Dr António Tomás at email@example.com.