The African Centre for Cities (ACC) seeks to appoint a Communications Officer. The main purpose of the Communications Officer is to provide communication services to the organisation under the guidance and leadership of the Communications Manager. This will include supporting the Communications Manager in developing a ACC communications strategy and brand rollout, managing the ACC website and social media channels, content creation, media management., stakeholder engagement and deliver strategic communications outcomes for the African Centre for Cities. The incumbent must be an energetic, driven, self-starting individual, able to deal with multiple, simultaneous demands in a high-pressure environment.
The incumbent must also have excellent communications project management skills, interpersonal skills and planning skills with a good understanding of the Higher Education environment.
Please refer to the attached detailed position description (HR191) for the full responsibilities of this position.
Requirements for the job:
- A suitable degree or diploma (minimum NQF6 level).
- A minimum of three years of relevant work experience, particularly in the research communications field.
- Excellent writing, proof-reading and editing skills in English.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organisational skills and ability to produce under a heavy workload with competing priorities.
- Demonstrable good network in the media community and online publication skills.
The following would be advantageous:
- Familiarity with graphic design, social media communication, and excellent written English for both scientific and popular audiences
- Experience with the African Centre For Cities research agenda
- Experience and knowledge in social media management.
The annual cost of employment, including benefits, is between R248 259 and R 462 822
To apply, please e-mail the following documents in a single pdf file to Ms Shakira Jeppie at firstname.lastname@example.org
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
- Motivation letter, detailing how you meet the minimum requirements for this job
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Three writing samples of different types
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line. An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo a competency test.
Telephone: 021 650 5903 Website: https://www.africancentreforcities.net
Reference number: E23719 Closing date: 04 August 2023
“UCT is a designated employer and is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity, and redress in achieving its equity targets in accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets. Preference will be given to candidates from the under-represented designated groups. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf. “
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.